How Emily Helps Clients
Emily Cuatto is a Certified Appellate Specialist who has appeared on behalf of automobile manufacturers, healthcare entities, and large insurers in the California, Oregon, and Nevada Supreme Courts, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the California Court of Appeal. She has served as appellate and trial counsel in a variety of practice areas including insurance coverage, personal injury, and products liability.
Before joining Horvitz & Levy, Emily worked in the Santa Monica office of Bingham McCutchen LLP, where she handled a variety of complex commercial litigation matters involving insurance coverage, contracts, employment, and business torts.
Emily is a 2016 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). The LCLD is an organization of more than 200 members who serve as either general counsel of major corporations or managing partners of leading law firms. LCLD develops action programs designed to help a new and more diverse generation of attorneys ascend to positions of leadership.
Between college and law school, Emily taught middle school special education in New Orleans, Louisiana, through the Teach for America program.
Stennett v. Miller (2019)
California Court of Appeal upholds wrongful death statute against equal protection challenge
Victaulic v. American Home Assurance Co. (2018)
California Court of Appeal reverses $46 million punitive damage award against insurer
Licudine v. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2016)
California Court of Appeal adopts “reasonable probability” standard for lost earning capacity damages
Hartford Casualty Insurance Co. v. J.R. Marketing, LLC (2015)
California Supreme Court permits insurers to seek reimbursement directly from Cumis counsel for objectively unreasonable billings
Albert v. Mid-Century Insurance (2015)
California Court of Appeal holds that trespass to trees is not covered by a general liability policy
Cann v. Stefanec (2013)
California Court of Appeal holds that primary assumption of risk doctrine bars suit by college swimmer injured in weight room accident
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- Stanford University
- Hon. Milan D. Smith, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2009-2010)
- Hon. R. Gary Klausner, U.S. District Court, Central District of California (2006) (extern)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" (2014-2018)
- Top 50 Women Rising Stars in Southern California
- Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year Award, Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law (2014)
- Returning to Rutherford: A Call to California Courts to Rejoin the Legal Mainstream and Require Causation be Proved in Asbestos Cases under Traditional Torts Principles (Nov. 23, 2016) Southwestern Law Review
- When Interpreting Ambiguous Terms, Consistency Prevails (Nov. 12, 2014) Daily J., Insurance Supplement, p. 9
- From Secrecy to Disclosure (Aug. 5, 2013) The Recorder
- In Practice: Post-Trial Motions — To File or Not (June 26, 2013) The Recorder